11 February 2009

Three Types of Firsties

In my opinion I categorize firsties into three different categories: checked-out, hands-off, and ahhhhh! The first type is the typical case of senioritis: only a few days left, I've done a lot of work so far, might as well have fun the last few days I'm here. These may be the most toxic of all, but they really don't pose an actual threat to the cadet wing. They may take a hit on an AMI once and a while because vaccuuming wasn't a top priority, but they generally keep to themselves and don't mess anyone else up.

The "hands-off" firsties are those who dread not graduating. They are constantly stressed, don't want to have fun, stay in their rooms a lot, and play by the rules. The stories about the firsties who got late grad days before graduation haunt "hands-off" firsties in their sleep, and they have a tendency to resemble an old paranoid hermit.

The "ahhhh!" firsties are those who just realized they only have a few days left to make an impact on the Academy. Today the count is 105 (but who's counting?!) days until graduation, and the "ahhhh!" firsties are just awakening that they can make a real difference being the elders of the wing. I would classify myself into this category. While many may get the impression that I'm just a pissed off firstie who is fighting the man for no reason, the exact opposite is true. I want to make this a better place than how I left it, and I recently figured out there is only a limited amount of time to do that. I truly love this institution and respect what it is trying to accomplish; even though I may not agree with all of the means it uses to get us there. The real goal of this blog is to start a dialogue between cadets so attitudes and policies can be changed instead of spreading infinite amounts of cynacism.

No comments:

Post a Comment