19 April 2009

Top Off

Privileges come slowly at USAFA. The theory is that if you take away everything from cadets and give things back to them over a long period of time, they will appreciate the little things more and be forever grateful. Even after four years at this institution, I have less privileges than I did six weeks out of enlisted basic training in the "real" Air Force. As I look back at some of the privileges I earned, I recall such things as being allowed to sit down in my own room, wearing my bathrobe with the Prop and Wings emblem showing and having a plant in my room. The final stage of the Academy privilege package is "Top Off".

This event happens at some point approximately a month before graduation and includes such wonders as not having to be in bed at 10:45 pm every night and optional breakfast. The only real reason that Top Off exists though is to not have Firsties completely check out before they graduate. The exact date of this event is arbitrary and that is also its genius. The upper leadership hints that Top Off will come quicker depending on the performance of the Cadet Wing. By doing this the "cadet-run" Wing continues to try and please permanent party and pass off responsibilities to the two digs while maintaining professionalism and punctuality. No matter how much success firsties have, vaguely defined "general discrepancies" prevent Top Off from happening until just a few days before graduation.

No comments:

Post a Comment